Often times I find myself wanting a good stack of waffles or pancakes, but don’t necessarily want all of the carbs and/or fat to go with them. So, what’s the alternative? PROTEIN WAFFLES/PANCAKES <3!
Here is my basic recipe for such a concoction, one that is simple and super easy to manipulate to fit anyone’s given macros.
Basic Protein Waffles/Pancakes
🔸1 scoop (28-35g, depending on the brand) of protein powder of choice
🔸1/4c flour or pancake/waffle mix of choice
🔸1 large egg
🔸1/2c Milk of choice
🔸sweetener of choice, if desired
- Measure out dry ingredients and combine with wet ingredients and whisk until blended.
- For waffles:
- Pour batter onto heated waffle iron sprayed with non-stick spray and allow to cook until done, usually about 1-2 minutes.
- Yields two 8″ waffles
- For pancakes:
- Pour batter onto heated skillet sprayed with non-stick spray and cook each side until bubbles stop forming and edges appear dry, about 1-2 minutes.
- Flip and continue to cook on other side until desired doneness achieved, about 1 minute.
- Yields 4 to 6, 6″ diameter pancakes.
The macros will vary depending on which protein, flour base, and milk you use. Feel free to play around with this and add whatever toppings tickle your fancy. The photo above was made with snickerdoodle protein powder, gluten free all purpose baking flour, and egg nog flavored almond milk, then topped with caramel apple pie filling, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, whipped cream, and sugar free syrup ;).